It has been a very long time since I have updated this blog–When I last wrote this, it was December 2017, my husband had recently lost his job, and I was stuck in the gig economy. Since then, there has been so much going on in our lives.
In January 2018, I was offered a full-time job and got out of the grind of having multiple jobs. My husband got a new job (and a substantial raise!) soon thereafter. After a year of my husband and I making more money than we ever have, and admittedly making some indulgent purchases, I committed to a No-Spend 2019 for personal items — no apparel, accessories or toiletries (until I deplete my stockpile of toiletries).
It’s a good thing I did, too — In January 2019, I ended up in the hospital and incurred a large bill. This provided the motivation necessary to stick with my no spend because it’s frankly the only way I could afford it.
Unfortunately, due to a company reorganization, my husband recently found out his position will be eliminated at the end of this month, putting us back in a similar situation to about a year ago. Between my hospitalization and my husband’s job loss, it feels like everytime we take a step forward, we take another step back. At least this time we’ve accumulated some savings.
So what did I buy in 2019?
I’ve never claimed to be perfect, but we are nearly halfway through 2019, and I have only made a handful of purchases.
- A white button down shirt I had developed a hole in the front and I had to replace it–white button down shirts are kind of a staple of my wardrobe as a lawyer;
- A leather pouch that serves as a unique business card holder;
- A Citizen watch which rounded out my watch collection nicely—My Frédérique Constant for most days, my diamond Seiko when I’m feeling fancy and my Citizen for sportier occasions. And none of them require batteries!
- A brown Fossil bag — you all know how much I love my handbags. Someone on the Facebook buy sell trade group I am a part of was selling a bag I had previously owned and regretted getting rid of, but in a different color and I had to have it.
- A piece of blue lace agate. I was at a local metaphysical shop and have always wanted a piece of blue lace agate for my collection.
I am pretty proud of the status of my no spend this far into the year. It’s not perfect, but I’ve accumulated far less in the last 6 months than I otherwise would have, had I not been making a conscious effort not to spend on unnecessary things in 2019. For the last half of the year, I would like to continue to document my progress and let you all in on my journey.